By David Jasper
The Sacred Desert is a mirrored image at the function of the wasteland in theology, historical past, literature, paintings and film.
- An unique mirrored image at the position of the barren region in theology, background, literature, paintings and film.
- Discusses figures as various as Jesus, the early Christian wilderness Fathers, T.E. Lawrence, T.S. Eliot, Georgia O’Keeffe, Wim Wenders and Jim Crace.
- Makes connections throughout millennia of wasteland literature.
- Deepens the reader’s realizing of the wilderness as a true position, as an inside area, and as a textual site,
- Concludes with reviews at the contemporary conflicts in Iraq.
- Written in a readable and interesting style.
Read or Download The Sacred Desert: Religion, Literature, Art and Culture PDF
Best Christianity books
The English KnowHow sequence attracts upon the event, critiques, and goals that scholars carry to type and offers them with balanced insurance of all 4 talents.
For greater than 200 years American Catholics have struggled to reconcile their nationwide and non secular values. during this incisive and available account, unusual Catholic historian Jay P. Dolan explores the best way American Catholicism has taken its targeted form and follows how Catholics have met the demanding situations they've got confronted as New global fans of an outdated international faith.
Characteristically, Catholic ethical theology has been established upon an technique that over-emphasized the function of normative ethics and thus linked ethical accountability with following or disobeying ethical ideas. Reframing Catholic Theological Ethics bargains another moral strategy which, with out destroying any of the precious insights of normative ethics, reorients the self-discipline to contemplate human motivation and goal prior to investigating behavioral innovations for understanding one's finish.
Even if Jesus rose physically from the useless is likely to be the main severe and contentious factor within the learn of Christianity. before, students have targeting specific statements within the New testomony to help their perspectives, yet Richard Swinburne argues for a much wider process, asking as an alternative no matter if the nature of God and the lifetime of Jesus aid the chance of the Resurrection.
Extra info for The Sacred Desert: Religion, Literature, Art and Culture